You may have been thinking and planning about freezing food lately. What a great time to start, with summer veggies going out and fall veggies coming on strong it is time to stock up that freezer!
So far I have frozen tomato sauce, peaches, blueberries, applesauce, and lasagna; and have canned 80+ jars of pickles and 12 pints of peach jam.
The National Center for Home Food Preservation website will help you with the details. But here are some quick tips for freezing and storing food:
· Use proper packaging: containers or freezer bags
· Leave appropriate headspace, some foods need space to expand when frozen
· Labeling: portion size, ingredients, date frozen
· Know what foods freeze well and what foods do not
· Clean out your freezer and if you have space get a chest freezer
· Freeze foods as soon as they are cooled, packed and sealed
· Eat in rotation: “first in, first out”
· Thaw in refrigerator for best results
I have used the NCHFP website for freezing, canning, and recipes and have never been disappointed! It is so nice during the winter to pull out a tomato sauce and have a nice meal that brings back summer time memories. What is your favorite food to freeze or can?
I wish you enough!