Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Squash, Squash and more Squash

After picking a few squash at the farm and roasting 7 of them I had to think of ideas for meals to use it up.  I froze a bunch for baby food and then made two yummy dinners with the rest.  **I was just thinking that I always say that my food is yummy....  the thing is that I do make things that I don't think are yummy, but they aren't posted here; or I have revamped them first.... so anyway...here are two yummy things I made.


Squash and Pepper Soup with Tofu

Ingredients:
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 onion, chopped
4 bell peppers, cut into bite size chunks
2 garlic cloves, chopped
4 c. roasted squash
1 c. veggie broth
1/2 c. half and half  (or soy milk)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon, ground
1/8 tsp allspice, ground
1/8 tsp nutmeg, ground
freshly ground pepper to taste



Heat olive oil.  Saute onions and peppers 5-7 minutes.  Add garlic and squash stirring 1 minute or until you can smell the garlic.  Add broth, spices, and heat for several minutes.  Remove from heat.  Using a wand blender I blended my soup at this point until pureed.  (You could do this in a blender)  Stir in half and half.  Enjoy!  If you want the soup thinner just add more broth, to make it thicker add more squash.


We ate ours with sauteed tofu and homemade bread.

Stay tuned for the next squash recipe: Pumpkin Chili with pumpkin puree inspired by (Never Home)Maker.

2 comments:

  1. yumm yumm! Who would love the recipe for Pumpkin Chili with Pumpkin Puree...sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pumpkin chili sounds amazing! I saw your mom today. Hope you're well!

    ReplyDelete