Thursday, November 4, 2010

Time for Exercise

For a while now I have felt "out of shape" and have made great mental effort to get there.   It's time to make more than mental effort.  As a physical therapist I am reminded daily of the reasons why we, humans, should continue moving.




As human beings we are best when we move, move, move: better health, happier moods, increased energy, better diets, less pain.  

The last long race I ran was the Cherry Blossom 10 miler in DC, several years ago.....
So my next goal is the Celtic Solstice 5 Mile race in December.  Who else is doing this race?  Any tips?

I enjoy training with Hal Higdon's guides so I am following this one for now.

I want to hear stories of how you keep motivated to run outside in the winter!  Please leave comments.

3 comments:

  1. I'm doing it. Running the race course on the weekend has helped. It's a nice route. If you want to run the course together starting in the next week or so-let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i trained for it last year, ran the course the week before with ellen and carla then the darn thing got snowed out! i followed hal higdon too and found it very manageable...my only suggestion is to incorporate hills into some of the runs, the first part of the course is uphill. i wish i could do it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Solstice race is so fun, yes, it is hilly, but it has such a fun vibe!!
    I too am "out of shape". There was a break in the rain today, I headed out the door, then half way through my run, got caught in the rain.... sprinkles then full out down pour.... I guess that's just the way it is in cold weather running. Just have the right gear, and a positive attitude! Running the course is nice, because it is pretty and gears you up for the hills. I also found that running in Patterson Park was great, there are plenty of hills there too! I haven't signed up, but should!

    ReplyDelete