Sunday, July 24, 2011

Portabello Reuben Sandwich

I was craving sandwiches the other night and got this idea for a veggie Reuben from a Moosewood Kitchen cookbook.  I would rate this an 8/10 and think the only thing to make it better would be a dense pumpernickel bread.

First I made the dressing:
1/3 c. mayo
1/4 of a red onion, chopped
1 tsp horseradish
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
dash of Cholula or Tabasco sauce
1 tsp tomato paste
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

Next slice 4 portabello mushrooms into 1/4 inch slices and saute in a little olive oil until desired consistency.  I like mine a little soft but also still meaty.

While the mushrooms cook spread the sauce on 4 slices of bread. Top one half with cheese and the other half with 1/4 cup sauerkraut.



Heat a grill on medium heat, spray with olive oil and toast bread until cheese melts and the bread is brown.


Place mushrooms on cheese side of the bread and remove from heat.


Enjoy the yummy gooey cheesy inside!



I like this so much I wanted to make it the next night too.  It would also be good with tempeh...

I wish you enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment