Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Strawberry Lavender Bread


I planted a tiny lavender plant a couple summers ago near my front steps.  I thought it would be a nice thing to smell as guests walked into my house.  Now that little plant has taken over about 6 square feet of my front yard and I get to cut it back from the sidewalk often.  Cutting the lavender is never a job I mind as it is my favorite thing to smell outside.  

I've even found some super yummy things to cook.  I have made lavender ice cream and yogurt, lavender sauce, and this lavender bread.  And have added it to tea and sugar too.  This bread recipe has been a favorite of mine for a while.  THEN I made it the other day and added strawberries and it took it over the top of yumminess.  It smells wonderful, has a spongy smooth texture, and the taste is indescribable...you have to try it.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Ingredients
1 c Sugar
5 Tbs softened butter
½ tsp vanilla
1 lg egg and 1 egg white
1 ¾ c unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1 Tbs finely diced fresh lavender leaves
½ c finely chopped strawberry


Mix:
Sugar, butter, and vanilla until smooth.  Then add in egg and mix until smooth.

In a separate bowl combine:
Flour, baking powder, baking soda. and salt.


Then alternately add dry ingredients and yogurt to the butter mixture.  Once mixed stir in the lavender and strawberries.


Bake for 45-60 minutes in a pre-greased floured loaf pan OR
Bake for 20-28 minutes in a pre-greased mini-muffin pan until lightly browned.


Eat this slowly and enjoy as long as possible... or you could just make more.

**Lavender can be purchased from most health food stores or you can pick it from a reliable source.

I wish you enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment